Does your dog like to pick out his own perfume? When your dog smells eau d'dead fish-skunk-unidentifiable object, there is a chance he's going for it.
Why Do Dogs Roll in Smelly Stuff?
It seems most likely that they do it for enjoyment. Notions that it provides a hunting advantage overlook the disturbing effect the scent of a 60 lb. dead fish wondering on the land might have on potential prey, as well as the death-stalking-me feel of it. In addition, many animals use sight as well as smell to take note of potential predators.
- Dogs Enjoy the Smell
- Actually Trying to Rub His Smell on the Other Object
- Bragging about resources in his territory
Tips To Stop Dogs From Rolling in Smells
- Teach the "Leave It" and "Stop" commands
- Keep your dog on leash
- Keep your yard clean of poop
- Use a squirt gun, noise-maker or motion sensor to discourage rolling activity as soon as it starts. Make enough noise that your dog hates the noise more than he likes the smells.
Dogs That Roll Are Also Likely To...